EA new excavation starts at Cross Roads (left). A part of a trench: the walls are covered with corrugated iron. There are duckboards at the bottom (right).

This place became important during Second Ypres when the allied troops conducted counter-attacks against the Germans. The first trenches were dug at the end of April 1915. After the Second Ypres the British frontline was dug in another orientation and stayed there for two years until the Third Ypres began on the 31st of July 1917. Indeed, Cross Roads is one of the places were this famous battle began.
Excavating here enable us to study the various periods and the evolution of trenchbuilding techniques throughout the entire course of the war. Most trenches dug in this area were rediscovered and on the basis of archival documents also gave us detailed information about the dates in which some structures were built. Aerial photographs are now being used to date some structures more precisely. Peter Barton, for example, has managed to identify one of the soldiers who was in action on the Cross Roads site and reconstructed his story. Lt. Robin Skeggs was a member of the Rifle Brigade, arriving just a few weeks after the start of the Second Ypres. Barton even found some pictures, several letters and a self-drawn map that were kept in archives. Both Belgian and foreign specialists offered us a great deal of scientific information and archival pieces about the Ypres Salient which are of great importance to the investigation and need to be thoroughly processed.