HIGH COMMAND REDOUBT (MAUSER RIDGE) EXCAVATION SITE
High Command Redoubt on the 21th of July 1917, just before the Third Ypres. Take note of the action going on.
The second excavation area was a site which was located on the German frontline between the end of April 1915 and the 31st of July 1917. This site was an important German observation post, protected by many small concrete shelters. All but one of these were destroyed after the war. Their remains can still be seen scattered in the fields.
After that period the British probably re-used the German frontline system as their own rear support trenches. We had the authorisation from the owner (Mr. P. Debaillie) to dig two excavation trenches here, similar to those at the Turco site (100 x 4 m).