Left: Cross-section of communications trench 1.
Right: Cross-section of communications trench 2.
After the First Battle of Ypres Langemarck became a real icon for the Germans. The confrontation of a German regiment that was part volunteers, part conscripts with British troops soon became legendary.
The military cemetery Langemarck originally was British (October 1914). During the Second Battle of Ypres (22 April 1915) the British were pushed back and the cemetery (Ehrenfriedhof Langemarck-Nord) was included in the third line of the Hindenburglinie (Langemark-Geluveld). The construction of three blockhouses (Wilhelm Stellung) guaranteed a certain degree of protection for the troops that had made camp here. On 9 October 1917, during the Third Battle of Ypres, the line was recaptured by the British, only to be lost again in spring 1918. When eventually regrouping all German war graves in Belgium (1955), Langemarck was developed as one of four major military cemeteries in the Province of West Flanders.